Nefarious use of drones is likely to get worse before it gets better, according to officials.
- Counter surveillance of law enforcement agents is the fastest-growing way that organized criminals are using drones.
- Some criminal organizations have begun to use drones as part of witness intimidation schemes: they continuously surveil police departments and precincts in order to see “who is going in and out of the facility and who might be co-operating with police,”
- Criminal crews are using drones to observe bigger target facilities, spot security gaps, and determine patterns of life: where the security guards go and when.
- Criminal groups have begun have used drones as part of elaborate smuggling schemes,
- Criminal networks were using drones to watch Border Patrol officers, identify their gaps in coverage, and exploit them.